Belford postmaster Peter Lawrie steps down on April 1 after 23 years’ service when the current premises closes. There has been a Post Office there since 1893. The village Post Office is moving to the Co-op on West Street.
On Tuesday a small ceremony was held to mark the end of an era for the village.
The postal service began in Belford in the 17th century. Since then it has seen postboys on horseback, mail coaches, push bikes, post vans and those who delivered the mail on foot.
The Church Street building opened as a Post Office in 1893 when there were nine postmen delivering mail each day.
It has changed little over the years really in that the Post Office was on the ground floor with accommodation above.
A large cake was made by the very talented Margaret Smith. She had painted the history of the post in Belford onto it in the forms of a post boy, a mail coach and a post van.
In a short speech Eric Gassner paid tribute to many people who retired from local shops and left their mark on Belford making it a better place for all. People such as John Smith at the paper shop, Marjorie MacDonald at The Hobby Horse, the Atkin family at the Craft Gallery, the list goes on.
To add to this list we must mention Peter Lawrie and his staff. Peter has served us cheerfully for twenty three years - a real achievement.
A small but select group of local people gathered to enjoy a piece of cake and also taking the opportunity to wish the current post master well in his retirement.